Becoming a Productive Independent Infectious Disease Researcher
The World Society for Pediatric Infectious Diseases (WSPID) has the pleasure to introduce the Research Workshop which will take place as 2 half-day sessions on 20 February and 21 February 2022, prior to the start of the main WSPID Congress.
We invite you to submit an abstract for mentoring and presenting at the Research Workshop.
Application Deadline: 8 September, 2021
How to apply?
- Application for the Research Workshop is done at the same time as submitting an abstract.
- Download and complete the Application Form, save it as a PDF file and submit it together with your abstract through the abstract submission system.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered – You need to have both an Application Form and an abstract submitted in the system in order to be considered for participation in the Research Workshop.
What can participants expect?
The workshop will be conducted in English and will consist of two components:
1. Short practical lectures by leading researchers on aspects of research, with a focus on pediatric infectious diseases.
2. Oral presentations by 5 selected Research Workshop Presenters. Five early career researchers will be chosen among the applicants for mentoring and discussion at the WSPID Research Workshop.
What is the aim of the Research Workshop and who is it suitable for?
- To assist early career researchers with the design, conduct, and presentation of pediatric infectious disease research in resource-challenged and resource-advantaged settings.
- To facilitate interaction between early career and established researchers in an informal, collegial setting.
- 50 participants will be selected among the applicants to attend the Research Workshop. These selected participants will have their 2022 WSPID Congress registration fees waived.
- 5 applicants will be invited to participate in the workshop as oral Research Workshop Presenters:
- These 5 presenters will be assigned one or more mentors from the WSPID Education Committee/WSPID Research Workshop Faculty, who will assist with developing their presentation prior to the Workshop.
- Each of these selected Research Workshop Presenters will deliver a 10-minute oral presentation of their WSPID 2022 submitted abstract to the audience of the Research Workshop participants and faculty.
- Research Workshop participants and the faculty will offer constructive comments and suggestions following each presentation.
- Subsidized Research Workshop participants/presenters who do not attend or who do not fulfill requirements of preparation and presentation will be asked to reimburse the WSPID subsidies in full.
David Burgner, Australia – Chair
Brian Eley, South Africa
Tony Walls, New Zealand
Piyarat Suntarattiwong, Thailand
Shai Ashkenazi, Israel
Andi Shane, USA
Eduardo Lopez-Medina, Colombia
For queries, please contact us through the form here.